Here’s a collection of links that I thought was interesting or entertaining.
Fun Things to See and Do
- Bubble Wrap Game Pop virtual bubble wrap to your hearts content.
- Kaleidoscope Design your own kaleidoscope
- Eye Mouse Tracker Watch the eyeball follow the mouse around the screen
- Michel Lauziere YouTube video playing classical music in a horn suit
- Michel Lauziere YouTube playing Mozart on wine bottles while roller blading
- Color Test: Right Brain Left Brain See how your right and left brain think differently
- BBC Senses Challenge Test your senses.
- Online Pumpkin Carving create your own Jack o’lantern patterns
- PumpkinGutter Gallery Awesome pumpkin carvings
- Andrea Mosaic Freeware to create your own photomosaics
- Mural Mosaics Similar to a photomosaic, this is a large mural composed of tiles with individual images made by a variety of artists . Click on any of the individual tiles to enlarge them and get information about the artist of that tile.
- Smithsonian Magazine Puzzles
- Mr Nussbaum educational games/activities for grades K-8
- eChalk Optical Illusions
Michael Bach Visual Illusions
- Mighty Optical Illusions These photos look like Albert Einstein up close but like other people from a distance.
- Lilac Chaser Illusion One of my favorite illusions on Bach’s site above
- Counter-Rotating Spirals Illusion You have to check this one out. The professor of our visual perception class projected this in the lecture hall and the entire class experienced it at once. We all stared at the spiral for 30 seconds and then looked at our hand or at the face of the person sitting next to us. There was a collective WHOA!
- Afterimages A few simple afterimages demonstrations that I made up
- Best Illusion of the Year Contest Check out the finalists for this annual contest for the best new illusion
- Scientific American Illusion Slide Show
- Dark Roasted Blend a collection of mind-bending illusions
- Games.Yahoo brain teasers
- Waterfall Illusion
- Video Illusion view paired pictures of famous celebrities by staring at a dot between the photos and their faces look distorted but when you look directly at them they are normal!
- Molecular Expressions This link displays images increasing in magnification in steps of 10x taking you from the Milky Way to quarks. The site has lots of other items to explore too.
- TED Ideas worth Spreading The annual conference brings together the world’s most fascinating thinkers and doers, who are challenged to give the talk of their lives- in 18 minutes.
- World Clock Interesting statistics of our world
- World Library Catalog Finds libraries near you that have the books you want to read.
- Astronomy Picture of the Day NASA site with a daily image with explanation by an astronomer.