Chemistrie custom magnetic lenses

Chemistrie Lenses: The No-Clip Custom Clip-Ons

by Marcia Dettloff, OD on May 7, 2013

Chemistrie magnetic lenses are an exciting new product that allows you to quickly and easily convert your prescription lenses to polarized sunglasses, computer/reading glasses or even 3D glasses. The thin lenses and titanium bridge are extremely lightweight, yet durable. Just bring the Chemistrie clip up to your eyeglasses and the tiny magnets embedded in the lenses snap the lenses into the proper position and keep them there until you remove them. The Chemistrie lenses are made at the same time as your prescription lenses to ensure that they match the frame shape perfectly. The curve matches your lenses so they don’t scratch your prescription lenses like some generic clip-ons.

Chemistrie magnetic sun lenses are the perfect solution if you want prescription sunglasses but:

• you hate switching back and forth between 2 pairs of glasses
  • you don’t like the residual color of photochromic lenses indoors and/or they don’t get dark enough while driving
  • the frames you like don’t come with clip-ons or they add too much weight

The lenses can be customized to fit almost any frame style or prescription and are available in 8 solid, 8 gradient and 8 mirror colors, 5 bridge colors and 6 magnet styles.  They even have 12 colors of Swarovski Crystals if you want to top off the magnets with a little bling.

Chemistrie Hardware Options

Chemistrie lens bridge, magnet and Swarovski crystal options

Chemistrie Computer/Reading Lens

Reading lenses are another great Chemistrie lens option. We just aren’t meant to be doing near work all day long but it’s hard to avoid computers in modern life.  Many patients would be more comfortable using a prescription dedicated to computer and/or near work. Progressive lens or bifocal wearers are especially prone to problems at the computer because the monitor tends to fall into the distance portion of the lens.  In order to see the computer with the near portion of the lens, they have to tilt their head back, and possibly move closer.

Chemistrie computer/reading lens add-on

There are several lens options for computer users but they all sacrifice the distance vision to some degree. For patients that don’t like swapping out glasses and aren’t comfortable walking around the office or at large group presentations with the computer glasses, the Chemistrie reading lens lets you easily convert your regular glasses to the near lenses as needed. You can also layer lenses so, for example, if you were at the pool with an iPad or Nook, you could put the reading lens on and then add the sun lens on top.

Finally, a circular polarized Chemistrie C3-D lens is available that is fully compatible with 3-D television using passive lens technology as well as RealD Cinema productions.

We have been using the Chemistrie lenses for about 6 mos now and patient feedback has been very positive.  Come by the office today to see the lens color and hardware options available as well as sample frames in plastic, metal, and rimless styles.

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Roxanne May 26, 2013 at 3:26 pm

This blog was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something which helped me.
Appreciate it!

2 Peg parsons July 19, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Where can i get these around houston, TX?

3 Marcia Dettloff, OD July 21, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Peg: Eyenavision has a retail locator on their website.

4 L Mason July 18, 2014 at 4:24 pm

My first pair (2012) of Chemistrie magnetic sunglasses were perfect. However, the new ones I have (2014) are totally flat and do not conform to the shape of the underlying lense at all. I find this quite undesirable.

5 Marcia Dettloff, OD July 18, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Without seeing them, it sounds like an error in manufacturing. I would go back to wherever you got them and tell them you are unhappy with the product.

6 Howard January 25, 2015 at 1:47 am

Hi,
I just got new prescription glasses which didn’t come with magnetic clip-on sunglasses so I’m in need of some and was wondering if you can add the magnets to my lenses or if I’d have to have new lenses cut for my frames. If so, what would be the cost. I do wear progressives.
Thanks,
Howard

7 Marcia Dettloff, OD February 21, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Howard,
As a general rule, I would say that they cannot be retrofitted. The clip is made at the same time as the lenses and the holes for the magnets are typically drilled as part of the lens edging (shaping) process so everything matches. I would recommend that you contact the place where you originally purchased your lenses to see if their lab manufacturers Chemestrie Clips and if it they have the capacity to retrofit them to existing lenses. The cost of starting over would depend on many factors including your prescription, brand of progressives, lens material, coatings and any warranty that may be available. Good luck!

8 Mike August 18, 2015 at 5:21 pm

I started wearing my new clip-on about 6 weeks ago, and really liked the ease of using them until recently. The metal button, on one side, in my lens pulled out attached to the magnet. I plan on going to my local optometrist to speak with them about it, but dread the thought of doing without my prescription lenses for any length of time. I even thought about super-glue…Do you have any advice for me?

9 Marcia Dettloff, OD August 26, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Mike,
The best thing would be for you to take them back to the place you got them for repair. I do not know what glue they use but I would not recommend that you use Super Glue on them yourself. I’ve seen many a lens and frame ruined by a patient attempting a repair with Super Glue. And any damage you do may void the frame or lens warranty.